City of Calgary Construction Project Updates
This weekend Macleod Trail will be reduced to one lane from south of 18 Avenue to 17 Avenue, from 6 p.m. on Friday, April 21, to 6 p.m. on Sunday, April 23. This lane closure is required to accommodate underground utility work.
Vehicles will still be able to use and exit the business access only lane on 17 Avenue on Macleod Trail.
Traffic Detour: one-way on 14 Avenue and 15 Avenue
Beginning the week of May 23, 2017, The City is implementing a new detour around 17 Avenue construction, by turning 14 Avenue and 15 Avenue into one-way streets.
How it will work:
- Between Macleod Trail and 14 Street S.W.
- 14 Avenue will be converted to one lane of westbound traffic with parking on the north and south side of the street.
- 15 Avenue will be converted to one lane of eastbound traffic with parking on the north and south side of the street.
- One-way traffic will be in place for the duration of construction (3-4 years)
Why it works:
- Maintains an east-west connection close to 17 Avenue for people visiting the area by vehicle.
- Keeps Calgary Transit buses operating on and close to 17 Avenue S.
- Maintains the most on-street parking, although some parking will be temporarily removed to accommodate transit detours and bus stops.
More information on how this change will be rolled out will be provided to area residents and will be available online prior to the implementation of the detour.
To help support businesses through construction, we’re developed a marketing campaign, which began April 17:
- Advertisements at the Victoria Park/Stampede station
- Radio ads on five major radio stations and our partnership with X92.9
- Geo-targeted online ads
- Promotion through The City’s social media channels
- Specialized way finding construction hoarding around work zones
Resources for business owners including updated project posters, postcards and website banner will be available soon. More information will be available as the marketing plan develops further.
2017 Construction: Macleod Trail to 5 Street S.W.
The 17 Avenue Project Team canvassed the businesses between 2 Street S.W. and 5 Street S.W. to gather input on continuing construction in this area in 2017 or delaying construction to the spring of 2018. Based on the conversations we had, The City will continue construction up to 5 Street S.W. in 2017.
Some key themes that we heard, which guided our decision to continue work in 2017 included:
- Get the world done sooner than later.
- Construction during late summer and fall is better than disrupting business during high-season.
- Businesses don’t want to extend the slow business months of winter into the spring and summer, if construction can get done later in 2017.
Construction begins on the east end the week of April 17th, 2017 and continues through November this year. The project team is continuing to evaluate three and four year construction options. More information on construction in future years will be available in the fall.
More information is available online here.
What to expect during 2017 and 2018 construction
In general, each block will see some of the same kind of construction work and impacts:
- Temporarily remove on-street parking
- A full closure (no traffic) or partial closure (one eastbound and one westbound lane remain open)
- Ongoing heavy construction between 7am and 7pm daily (information on daily schedules will be available closer to April)
- Sidewalks and pedestrian accesses will remain open to businesses along 17 Ave SW
- Reopen traffic lanes and on-street parking once the road work phase is complete
As the contractor developed and refines their 2017 work schedule, more information will be available for each block. Find out when your block will be under construction on the 2017-2018 construction schedule.
After thirty years, we’re reconstructing 17 Avenue S.W. and our plans are going to make it awesome for all of us, for decades to come. The construction will be between Macleod Trail S.E. and 14 Street S.W. to improve sidewalks, road design and underground utilities.
17th Ave is one of Calgary’s most vibrant neighbourhoods to shop, eat, visit and do business.
If you have questions about the project or would like to receive project updates, feel free to email the project team: firstname.lastname@example.org.